Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"Everybody Say Love"

I think I might be a drag queen. Yes, I am a heterosexual biological female but I yearn for all things drag queen. The sparkle, the glam, the cattiness. I love it all. It seems like a license to be the person you've dreamt of being but never had the courage in real life to be. This is where RuPaul's Drag U comes in.

RuPaul is one incredible queen. She has done some much in her career, opened so many doors for those coming after, I truly admire her. Besides being gorgeous and handsome all at once, RuPaul continually teaches me about myself. On RuPaul's Drag U, RuPaul educates biological women about how to embrace that inner diva thus helping them become the women they were meant to be. I would LOVE to be on the show. My appearance and dance skills need less work than the chosen women (who always turn it out once they get to Draguation, werk!) so I doubt I'd make a good episode of TV. The personal empowerment that these ladies get through RuPaul and their Drag Professor, one of the many beautiful queens from RuPaul's Drag Race, is something I envy.

RuPaul famously ends each episode of RuPaul's Drag Race with "If you can't love yourself, how the hell you gonna to love somebody else? Can I get an Amen?" Every episode I shout, "Amen!" to the TV. Every week I listen to her say it and I believe it, but it's hard to act on that. Drag U helps me remember more fully as Ru sits down with each Draguate and discusses her time at Drag U and her past that lead her there. These poor tortured women, beat down by themselves or the cruelty of others. And Ru reminds each of them, "What other people think of me, is not my business." How true and simple.

Ru is full of other fantastic sayings to the same effect. I love how the drag professors add their advise too. They are caring, loving drag mommas taking care of their newest drag sister. I try gleaning what I can from watching. I find myself constantly relating to their advise and trying very hard to remember it later, trying to make their words stick.

So not only do I love drag queens for their wigs, sickening outfits and sassy comebacks, I love drag queens for their true hearts and their loyalty to their drag families. All I have to do is wait for the next season of Drag Race to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment