Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wandering Thoughts

Hello again. I am not quite sure what I want to write about today. I am glad I am staying motivated to write thus far. A whole three days! That's longer than other ventures I've had. I've also been super diligent about increasing my water intake. The last two weeks I had slowly been increasing and now I've had my full 64 oz. a day since Monday (and Saturday I had about 50 so that almost counts too). Water and blogging, maybe that's my magical combination. Who would have guessed?

I have been thinking about my novel idea (I love the pun in there). I've got some key points; character ideas, an extremely loose conflict, the beginnings of the environment, but no resolution. I've never been good at those. That's usually the reason I shelf things. I don't know how to end it. I know the problem or the inspiration for the problem and I just can't decide how to wrap it up. I had another idea for a play that maybe I'll get to someday. I wanted to base it around a portion of Oscar Wilde's novel The Picture of Dorian Gray. Oscar Wilde is pretty much my favorite and his novel is close to the top of my favorite novels as well. I am so intrigued by the portion about Sibyl Vane. This woman is a talented actress because she has to be. She has nothing else in the world (besides her brother) so this talent is born out of that nothingness. Once she has something, a love for Dorian, that talent is no longer needed. It wilts and disappears back into the nothingness from which it sprung. In the novel, Dorian is rejects this and leaves her defeated. Though he realized he was wrong, Sibyl already committed suicide, the burden to large to take.

I wanted to modernize this idea. I wanted to un-romanticize it in a way. I wanted a strong, modern New York actress who, while successful, was still struggling to hold on to her chosen career. I wanted her talent to disappear because of love. I thought of maybe using a love triangle. The safe guy she should be with and the irresistible one she'd lose herself and everything else with. None of it ever quite fit. I had no idea how to get the conflict moving or how to end it.

I'll get there. This is was it is all about! I started out not knowing what I wanted to write about and found something to fill an entry with! Go Day Three!

No comments:

Post a Comment